Achshav (Grades 8-11)
Achshav Registration Now Open for the 2017-2018 year!
Chizuk Amuno, in conjunction with Beth El Synagogue, is thrilled to offer a new three year leadership development program for 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students. Through hands-on learning, social programming, and a 10-day mission to Israel, students will investigate the concept of leadership – examining what a strong leader is and how to become one.
Achshav meets on Tuesday evenings from 6:30-8:30 p.m, with an alternating schedule between Beth El and Chizuk Amuno. Our program always starts with dinner and socializing, which foster friendships and build community among the student cohort. After dinner, every Tuesday night is different! We might:
- Have a media night, featuring a movie that portrays characters who exemplify certain qualities of leadership, followed by a leadership pod and discussion.
- Explore Jewish texts and characters that speak to theme of leadership and the values that a leader should exemplify through guided activities and discussions.
- Interview a leadership panel, meeting community leaders and learning about the connections they have made between their Jewish values and their leadership journeys.
- Work on Hebrew ulpan to help prepare the students for their leadership mission to Israel. The ulpan focuses on key Hebrew words and phrases to enable students to navigate around the stalls of Ben Yehuda Market, the beaches of Tel Aviv, and the hallways of the Israel Museum.
Imagine your teen…
- Quoting Jewish sources during a student council meeting
- Taking the lead on an important social action project
- Using the example of Yitzchak Rabin to negotiate a compromise on the ball field
- Speaking about Israel from personal experience
Sign up for Achshav today!